Please Note : This is an EX-DEMO Unit that is in a good as new condition, supplied with the Astell&Kern Genuine Leather Case
The original AK100 was developed according to audio specification standards, but development of the next-generation AK100 was developed to the "New Standard" of how the music sounds. Astell&Kern presents "A New Standard in Listening to Music" with the AK100 2nd Generation.
With the AK100 2nd Generation, Astell&Kern aimed for the perfect harmony of engineering and design. From beginning to end, they re-examined the PCB layout, the form factor, the materials, and the post-manufacturing process.
They relocated the volume wheel to the top to maximize the space for the battery. They also redesigned the volume wheel for further convenience and easier usability even when you hold the product with both hands.
The AK100 2nd Generation’s volume wheel consists of two parts: the head and the root. The head is the knurled part and control the volume wheel by holding it securely. The root is the base of the volume wheel and wrapped in a guard that’s directly connected to the hardware. This division into two parts enhances the usability and stability of the AK100 2nd Generation, while the distinguished parts also provide further protection for external damage.
Single DAC and Balanced Out
- Single DAC and Balance Out
- 5.6 MHz DSD Support
- USB DAC
- Network Playback
- Full Touch Screen
- 10-Band EQ Setting
Although the dramatic depth in sound quality delivered by the Balanced Out was proven in Astell&Kern's flagship model, They wondered if the same benefit could be gained by implementing the Balanced Out with a Single DAC. The newly designed demo board delivered the ear-pleasing sound quality that was needed. The value of a Balanced Out with a Single DAC is confirmed with every musical note.
The AK100 2nd Generation provides a rich, warm sound experience through the re-tuned A-amp designed specifically for the CS4398 Single DAC.
The unbalanced method is the most commonly used basic method which consists of “left and right signals + ground line”. This setup includes a ground line which blocks out external noises from the outside. However, since the ground line cannot block out all of the external noises completely, external noises can be mixed into the signals that are transmitted, which then result in changes to the sound. The longer the signals travel, the more external noises that will be mixed into the sound which is why it is used within a short distance of 1 to 2 meters.
Unlike the unbalanced method, the balanced method has an additional cold signal to compliment the hot signal which reduces the external noises.
5.6 MHz DSD Support
Astell&Kern realized DSD playback through a firmware upgrade for the AK100. However, only 2.8 MHz DSD was supported (88.1kHz PCM conversion/downsampling) due to hardware limitations. Now, 5.6 MHz DSD is supported via 'DSD to PCM' by utilizing a Dual Core CPU.
The AK100 2nd Generation fully supports USB DAC.
The AK100 2nd Generation also functions as an external DAC (sound card) when connected to a PC or Mac via USB. The AK100 2nd Generation's sound quality is available for stored music on any PC or Mac as it serves as a built-in sound card..
With the next-generation AK100, it's no longer necessary to turn on the PC, search for music, connect a device, and transfer files.
Simply connect the AK100 2nd Generation to your PC or Mac via Wi-Fi on the same network and download or stream music wirelessly.
Full Touch Screen
The new AK100 2nd Generation utilizes a 3.31" AMOLED screen, an 82% increase over the previous screen's size. Now, users have access to more on-screen information than ever before. In addition, a full touchscreen means convenient, smartphone-style control.
The Album View screen has been completely overhauled. The larger screen offers a view of six albums compared to the previous version's four, and the album art view offers intuitive search functionality.
A more accurate EQ setting is available by doubling the bands (from 5 to 10) and halving the dB steps (from 1 dB to 0.5 dB). In addition, multiple user EQs are supported so that users may create custom EQs to fit each music genre and change them whenever desired.
- Model : AK100 II
- Body Colour : Smoky Blue
- Body Material : Aluminium
- Display : 3.31inch WVGA (480 x 800) AMOLED Touchscreen
- Supported Audio Formats : WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample Rate : FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF : 8kHz ~ 192kHz (8/16/24bits per Sample) / DSD : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
- Output Level : Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 1.7Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC : Cirrus Logic CS4398 x1 (Single DAC)
- Decoding : Support up to 24bit/192kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input : USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs : PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi : 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth : V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP)
- Dimensions : 2.16 ”(55 mm) [W] x 4.37 ”(111 mm) [H] x 0.58 ”(14.9 mm) [D]
- Weight : 5.99 oz (170 g)
- Feature Enhancements : Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response :±0.025dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance / ±0.6dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance & Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio : 115dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 115dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk : 127dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 130dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N : 0.0009% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE : 0.0004% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance : Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter : 50ps(Typ)
- Battery Capacity : 3,150mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory : 64GB [NAND]
- External Memory : microSD (Max 128GB) x 1
- Supported OS : Windows XP, Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up
Launched in October 2012, Astell&Kern is the high-end audiophile brand by iriver. The current Astell&Kern line includes the award-winning AK100 II, AK120 II and AK240 high-resolution portable audio players, capable of playing 24-bit/192 kHz Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) files including Native DSD. Astell&Kern’s lineup has recently expanded to include accessories such as the AKR01 and AKR02 In-Ear headphones, and Astell&Kern portable player docking stations.