Astell&Kern has stayed on the course, offering the truest and most natural sound possible. The new AK380 offers the most authentic sound from any digital music format with enhanced features that are sought-after.
All of the AK380’s circuit design including the digital-analog converter (DAC) are ready for 32-bit processing to handle 32-bit music natively. Other products have traditionally used sample rate converter (SRC) method down sampling for playback. However, the AK380 is capable of playing back 32-bit, 384 kHz original sound without any down sampling. The result is the AK380 plays up to 32-bit, 384 kHz, any 24-bit music files, or double layer DSD 5.6MHz natively, without conversion or compression.
- 32-bit 384kHz bit-to-bt Playback
- PEQ (Paramatic EQ)
- Femto Clock
- AK Connect
- Pressure-sensitive Metal Capacitive Touch
A parametric equalizer (PEQ) was implemented in the AK380 to deliver detailed adjustment of the original sound, and an audio digital signal processor (DSP) was added to aid in this process.
This frees up CPU cycles previously needed for calculating graphic equalizers (GEQ), allowing more detailed and accurate calculations via the dedicated DSP.
The audio DSP expands the existing 10-band, ±0.5 dB graphic equalizer (GEQ) to 20-band, ±0.1 dB to more precisely adjust the frequency and gain (dB) as well as more accurately specifying the frequency range via Q value adjustments.
Astell&Kern implemented a voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 200 femto seconds
Femto clocks are commonly used in high-end audio systems, and the clock is measured in high-precision femtosecond units (one quadrillionth of a second).
By utilizing a femto clock, the AK380 is able to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections.
As a result, the AK380 faithfully reproduces analog sound closer than ever to the original source when transmitting a digital signal as an analog signal.
Astell&Kern has further enhanced DLNA functionality via the AK Connect app.
Wireless networking DLNA (version 1.0) connects to a NAS or PC, and is easily controlled with a smartphone or tablet through AK Connect.
Source files on a PC or NAS can be freely transferred and streamed without the hassle of turning on the computer and physically connecting with a cable.
If on the same access point (AP) network, music files on a PC or NAS can be played back via DLNA.
Pressure-sensitive Metal Capacitive Touch
The AK380 is the first Astell&Kern product to utilize a metal capacitive touch interface.
The pressure-sensitive Metal Touch home button responds to fine pressure changes so users operate the device with just a light touch on the metallic pad.
- Please Note: We are unable to ship this item outside the UK for International orders
- Model : AK380 Black
- Body Colour : Black
- Body Material : Aircraft Grade Duralumin
- Display : 4inch WVGA (480 x 800) Touchscreen
- Supported Audio Formats : WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample Rate : CM : 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample) / DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo / DSD256(1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
- Output Level : Unbalance 2.2Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC : AKM AK4490 x2 (Dual DAC)
- Decoding : Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input : USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs : PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi : 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth : V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX)
- Dimensions : 3.14 ”(79.8 mm) [W] x 4.42 ”(112.4 mm) [H] x 0.70 ”(17.9 mm) [D]
- Weight : 8.11 oz (230 g)
- Feature Enhancements : Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response : ±0.053dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance±0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio : 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 117dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk : 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 135dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N : 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE : 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance : Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter : 30px(Typ)
- Reference Clock Jitter : 200 Femto Seconds
- Battery Capacity : 3,400mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory : 256GB [NAND]
- External Memory : microSD (Max 128GB) x 1
- Supported OS : Windows XP, Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up
Launched in October 2012, Astell&Kern is the high-end audiophile brand by iriver. The current Astell&Kern line includes the award-winning AK100 II, AK120 II and AK240 high-resolution portable audio players, capable of playing 24-bit/192 kHz Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) files including Native DSD. Astell&Kern’s lineup has recently expanded to include accessories such as the AKR01 and AKR02 In-Ear headphones, and Astell&Kern portable player docking stations.