The AK70 is designed with an oblique angle on one side of the body so that it can fit the contour of the user's thumb, the finger used most frequently when controlling the screen with one hand.
The volume wheel is designed to be protruding slightly from a concave surface so that you can control volume with a simple motion of sliding your finger up and down. With slim 13-mm thickness and 132-gram lightweight, the palm-sized device is easy to carry anywhere.
The AK70 has adopted a pastel-color anodized aluminum casing, which makes it look high quality with its light mint color and glossy silver tone. The smart-looking exterior and smooth color make the device look more casual and simpler.
The AK70's DAC, based on market-proven CS4398 chips of Cirrus Logic, has been used for years in Hi-Fi audios and the second-generation Astell&Kern devices. The AK70 plays back 24bit 192kHz signals into bit-to-bit type. 32bit audio is downsampled using a sample-rate converter. In addition, DSD 64/128 can be played back through conversion to PCM.
Diverse Output Types - Balanced
- Please Note: We are unable to ship this item outside the UK for International orders
- CS4398 Single DAC
- DSD64/128 to PCM 24bit 176kHz
- 24bit 192kHz Bit to Bit
- Diverse Outputs
- Exceptional Expandability
- DLNA-based AK Connect App
- USB DAC
- Metal Touch Sensor Home Button
The AK70 supports the 2.5-mm 4-pole balanced output (2.3 Vrms) that has been in use since the second generation of the Astell&Kern players.
Unlike the unbalanced type, the balanced output type is capable of removing noise (common mode noise) that can occur in “signal + inverting amplifier signal” and has the strength of increasing output due to its double transmitting signals. The AK70 can be used with a variety of balanced earphones and headphones made for Astell&Kern. It can also support the 3.5-mm 3-pole unbalanced output (2.3 Vrms), with compatibility with a variety of Hi-Fi earphones and headphones.
Diverse Output Type - USB Audio
The AK70 supports USB audio digital out, first among Astell&Kern devices.
You can connect diverse digital-input portable amps through USB to the AK70. The AK70 can transfer DSD in native through DoP. It can also convert DSD into PCM for output for portable amps that do not support DoP.
Diverse Output Types - USB DAC
The AK70 can be used with a USB DAC that can double as an embedded sound card by connecting with a PC/Mac through the USB port.
In the case of using the PC's embedded sound card, one may have to go through a complicated process to play back DSD data. In contrast, the AK70 can do so simply by connecting with the PC.
In the case of using the AK70 as a USB DAC, it can support up to 24-bit 96 kHz bit to bit, providing much richer sound through superior ambience and resolution way beyond the limits of an embedded sound card.
Astell&Kern has further enhanced DLNA functionality via the AK Connect app.
Wireless networking DLNA (version 1.0) connects to a NAS or PC, and is easily controlled with a smartphone or tablet through AK Connect.
Source files on a PC or NAS can be freely transferred and streamed without the hassle of turning on the computer and physically connecting with a cable.
If on the same access point (AP) network, music files on a PC or NAS can be played back via DLNA.
Pressure-sensitive Metal Capacitive Touch
The AK70 features the same metal touch interface as the AK300, AK320 and AK380.
The Metal Touch functions as a home key and interfaces with the device via pressure-sensitive touches.
- Model : AK70
- Body Colour : Misty Mint
- Body Material : Aluminium
- Display : 3.3inch WVGA (480 x 800) TFT LCD
- Supported Audio Formats : WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sample Rate :FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF : 8kHz ~ 192kHz (8/16/24bits per Sample) DSD : DSD64, Stereo / DSD128, Stereo
- Output Level : Unbalance 2.3Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC : Cirrus Logic CS4398 x1 (Single DAC)
- Decoding : Support up to 24bit / 192kHz Bit to Bit Decoding
- Input : USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)
- Outputs : PHONES (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi : 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth : V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX)
- Dimensions : 2.37 ”(60.3 mm) [W] x 3.81 ”(96.8 mm) [H] x 0.51 ”(13 mm) [D]
- Weight : 4.66 oz (132 g)
- Feature Enhancements : Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response : ±0.075dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalance & Balance
±0.56dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.55dB (Condition: 10Hz~70kHz) Balance
- Signal to Noise Ratio : 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 116dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- Crosstalk : 130dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 130dB @ 1kHz, Balance
- THD+N : 0.0008% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0007% @ 1kHz, Balance
- IMD SMPTE : 0.0007% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balance
- Output Impedance : Balanced out 2.5mm (1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm (2ohm)
- Clock Jitter : 50ps(Typ)
- Battery Capacity : 2,200mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
- Built-in Memory : 64GB [NAND]
- External Memory : microSD (Max 128GB) x1
- Supported OS : Windows XP, Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up
Launched in October 2012, Astell&Kern is the high-end audiophile brand by iriver. The current Astell&Kern line includes the award-winning AK100 II, AK120 II and AK240 high-resolution portable audio players, capable of playing 24-bit/192 kHz Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) files including Native DSD. Astell&Kern’s lineup has recently expanded to include accessories such as the AKR01 and AKR02 In-Ear headphones, and Astell&Kern portable player docking stations.