Hugo is a multi-award-winning mobile DAC and headphone amplifier of unrivalled quality. It uses Chord Electronics' bespoke technology to deliver class-leading sound quality from your music collection, however it is stored. A What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision 'Grouptest Winner' and revered by the world's leading technology magazines, Hugo is a revolutionary product in high-performance audio, winning more than ten press awards to date.
Called Hugo (because you can take Hugo wherever "you-go"), the new device offers studio-master-tape sound quality, advanced connectivity and uncompromising file playback capability, all from a palm-sized player. Hugo is the world's most advanced headphone amp/DAC and the most advanced 32-bit DAC Chord Electronics have ever made, offering five digital inputs including A2DP aptX Bluetooth, plus advanced 384kHz PCM and DSD 128 playback for today's high-resolution DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) music files.
Crucially, Hugo can be used as both a portable headphone amp/DAC as well as a reference-level standalone DAC in a static system. Hugo brings the renowned digital audio expertise of Rob Watts and Chord Electronics to serious headphone listening, enabling music lovers to experience a world of super-high-resolution music via their headphones or suitable loudspeakers. It offers unsurpassed performance and technology and is unrivaled in the marketplace, thanks to its bespoke technology, FPGA circuitry and advanced file-playback capability.
- Reference-level mobile DAC/headphone amp
- Unrivalled proprietary Chord Electronics' technology
- Mobile and home-system use
- Five digital inputs, including aptX Bluetooth
- Sets a new benchmark in sound quality
- Plays all file types, incl. DSD 128 and 384kHz PCM
- High-performance battery: 10-hr playback, 2hr charge
- Can be used as a high-quality digital preamp
- Connect up to three pairs of headphones
- Sleek design, built to last
- Silver and Satin Black finish options
- Hugo is entirely designed and manufactured in Great Britain
- Please Note: We are unable to ship this item for International orders if a local Chord Electronics distributor is available
Hugo is ready to take advantage of today's advanced studio-master-quality (DXD) music files. It can decode sample rates ranging from 44.1kHz to 384kHz (PCM), allowing audiophiles to experience music in true high definition, along with the best possible reproduction of CD-quality music. Hugo also benefits from two advanced USB inputs: one for legacy USB devices, plus a high-definition USB port for operation up to 384kHz. Thanks to two additional digital inputs, coaxial and optical, any connected component with a digital output will also benefit from Hugo's advanced technology.
In addition to 384kHz PCM files, the Hugo can also process DSD 128 data using the latest DSD-over-PCM standard (DoP). Whether using Mac OS or Windows OS, Chord Electronics' own proprietary driver software is provided, removing the restrictions of current operating system audio playback.
Hugo has a built-in battery-charging circuit giving 10 hours' play time, with a full charge reached in approximately two hours. Hugo takes no power over its USB input (as this is severely limited with many partnering products) and only takes signal data, therefore, it is fully compatible with all iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Further features include an advanced reference-grade digital volume control that does not lose bits and changes colour with volume changes.
“How it has managed to squeeze so much into such a compact box, without sacrificing an ounce of sound quality, is nothing short of astounding - we can't remember a time we enjoyed digital music more". BEST DAC £1000+ - WHAT HI-FI SOUND & VISION AWARDS 2014
About Chord Electronics
- Chord Electronics Hugo Portable DAC / AMP
- Advanced digital volume control
- Crossfeed filter network
- Battery powered for approximately 12 hours operation
- Input, sample rate and volume level indication by colour-change LEDs
- 26K tap-length filter (more than double when compared to the QuteHD DAC
- Headphone output: 110dB SPL into a 300ohm headphone load
- Output power - 1KHz 1V sinewave both channels driven 0.1% distortion
- 600 ohms 35mW, 300 ohms 70mW, 56 ohms 320mW, 32 ohms 600mW, 8 ohms 720mW
- THD - 1KHz 3V output: 0.0005%
- Dynamic Range: 120dB
- Output impedance: 0.075 ohms
- Damping factor >100
- Weight: 0.4kg
- Dimensions: 100x20x132mm (WxHxD)
- Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
- RCA coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable
- Driverless USB input 16-bit/48kHz-capable (designed for tablets/phones)
- HD USB input 32-bit/384KHz and DSD128-capable (for computer/laptop playback)
- 2x3.5mm headphone jacks
- 1x6.35mm (1/4 inch) headphone jack
- 1x (pair) stereo RCA phono output
Chord Electronics was founded in 1989 by John Franks who had previously held Directorships with Astec, the world leader in high frequency power supplies, Raytheon and AT&T.
A thorough mix of graduate level intellect, design experience and dedicated craft persons embody Chords production team, with our sales being achieved through a reputation of technical excellence, reliability and superb sound quality.
Years of research and innovation have been invested in the Chord range. From the outset, when Chord started applying the technologies that lifted products from the mainstream, the company has been leading the field.
With the watchwords of innovation and uncompromised audio quality, we have consistently invested our products with precision engineering and attention to detail.
This is as true for our professional products as the astonishing hi-fi portfolio that continually wins the hearts and minds of listeners and reviewers alike.