The original iTube became the ‘go to’ tube buffer for any and every home audio system. iFi have redesigned the micro iTube2 with new parts and new circuitry using trickle-down technology from the flagship ‘Pro’ series. Only the GE5670 tube remains.
The micro iTube2 is a tubed output stage, tube preamp, tube buffer AND an impedance-matching device all in one. There is nothing like it. You can put the micro iTube2 before a solid-state preamp and another one after it, creating the effect of tubing the whole audio chain. Or you can choose to simply use the micro iTube2 as a very high-quality preamp by itself.
The micro iTube2 sounds by and far, like a tube amplifier ‘done right with the inimitable magic of tubes.‘ Tonality and heft, especially in the mid-range and bass frequencies are increased to elevate the whole audio system from $100k to $1k. The micro iTube2 injects a serious does of tube magic into any audio system.
‘Magic’ of SET, Push-Pull or Classic Tube sound
In the ‘magic of tubes’ listening stakes, the iTube2 offers the listener the choice of different key sonic signatures:
– a Single-Ended Triode power amplifier;
– a Push-Pull tube power amplifier;
– a classic tube amplifier
Just to note from the iFi team – there is no ‘right’ setting. We advise you to set according to your systems synergy and your listening preferences.
XBass+® matrix for Speakers, new and improved
XBass+® for Speakers is quite different to its sister technology XBass+® for Headphones. The only similarity is in philosophy as the ability to enhance your Speaker listening is quite different to enhancing Headphone listening.
The former gives each and every audio system adjustable levels of bass control to enhance listening enjoyment through speakers that have limited bass extension. We have taken great care to ensure no degradation in sound quality occurs.
3D Holographic+® matrix for Speakers
- 20 Hz (6dB): For speakers missing only the lowest bass notes (below 40Hz)
- 20 Hz (12dB): For speakers missing some bass notes (below 80Hz)
- OFF: XBass+ switched out
The latest 3D Holographic+ matrix for Speakers offers something quite special. It takes high-end systems to another level of performance. It was drawn from the original ground-breaking work of Alan Blumlein, the ‘father of stereo.’
Firstly, it corrects the fundamental spatial distortion in recordings. And secondly, it increases the width of the soundstage beyond that of the speaker placement.
Brand-new PCB, Direct-Coupled for purest signal path
- 30˚+ This matrix adds an extra 30˚ to redress the narrow placement of speakers (eg either side of a PC monitor)
- + This matrix recreates original ‘width’ of the soundstage and is the recommended DEFAULT setting
- Off: 3D+ switched out
The iTube2, in-line with the latest iFi products, is ‘Direct-Coupled.’ This means no output coupling capacitor for the purest, most direct signal path.
Furthermore, the iTube2 is virtually a whole new product as the circuitry and components have been radically changed and it now is more closely connected to the Pro iCAN. Trickle-down from flagship range? A definite “yes!”
Reference class parts quality
The iTube2 employs Japan TDK C0G type capacitors. These are complimented by Japan Panasonic ECPU Film Capacitors explicitly designed for audio use with extremely low distortion (<0.00001% @ 1V/10kHz).
The iTube 2 also uses ELNA SIlmic capacitors. These and other parts are only found in components with an extra ‘0’ to the price.
The proof is in the listening. The best tube buffer/pre-amp out there just pulled even further ahead.
Running silently in the background – iPower 15v
Every iTube2 comes with the very-new iPOWER (15v) which is a remarkable-quiet, advanced DC power supply.
Measured on the Audio Precision 2, the iPower has an astonishingly low audio band noise floor of just 1uV while it has the ability to power the iTube2 to put out a maximum 7.75v which is quite remarkable.
- Tube: NOS GE 5670×1
- Maximum Output: > 7.75V (>+20dBu)
- SNR: 119dB(A) re. 2V, buffer, 0dB Gain
- DNR: 31dB(A) re. +20dBu, buffer, 0dB Gain
- THD & N: < 0.009% (re. 2V, buffer, 0dB Gain, A- weighted)
- Frequency Response: < 10Hz -to > 200kHz (-1dB) 20Hz – 20kHz (+/-0.003dB)
- Input Impedance: 1M ohm Direct Tube Buffer 100k ohm Pre-Amplifier with Volume Control
- Output Stage Output Impedance: <1 ohm
- Corrected Output Impedance: <150 ohm
- Input Voltage: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz
- Power Consumption: <4W idle, 10W max
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 175mm x 67mm x 28mm
- Weight: 278g
- 12 Months Warranty