It's likely that we will need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of any significant changes, but you are welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
When you are using Future Shop's website, Future Shop Ltd. is the data controller.
- Section 1: Lawful Basis For Processing
- Section 2: When We Collect Data
- Section 3: What Data We Collect
- Section 4: How We Use Your Data & Why
- Section 5: Who We Share Your Data With
- Section 6: Individual Rights
- 6-A: Your Right To Withdraw Consent
- 6-B: Where We Rely On Our Legitimate Interest
- 6-C: Direct Marketing
- 6-D: Checking Your Identity
- Section 7: How To Stop
- Section 8: Contacting Regulator
- Section 9: For All Non-UK Customers
- Section 10: What Are Cookies & Why Do We Use Them
- Section 11: Integration Of The Trusted Shops Trustbadge
- Section 12: Any Questions?
The law on data protection sets out several reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
When collecting your personal data, we will always make it clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you order an item from us for home delivery, we will collect your address details to deliver your purchase and pass them to our courier. Details of your billing address are also required under contractual obligations to fulfil the payment contract between both parties.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity to law enforcement.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we may combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep up with demand or develop new products/services.
On Futureshop.co.uk, we collect data in the following ways:
- When you visit and of Future Shop's websites and use your account to buy products and services.
- When you create an account on Futureshop.co.uk.
- When you engage with Future Shop on social media.
- When you contact Future Shop by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions run by Future Shop.
- When you comment on or review Future Shop's products or services.
- When you fill in any forms requesting personal data on Futureshop.co.uk.
- When you have given a third-party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
On Futureshop.co.uk, we collect the following data:
- If you have an account with Future Shop: your name, billing/delivery address, tokenised credit/debit card details (if given consent), orders, email address and telephone number. For your security, we will also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- We collect notes from Future Shop's conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases made, items views or added to your basket, items added to your wish list, how and when you contact us.
- Information gathered using cookies in your web browser.
- Payment Card Information.
- Anonymised product reviews.
- To deliver the best possible web experience, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
Future Shop will use the data you provide us with for the following:
- To process any orders that you make by using Future Shop's websites. If we do not collect your personal data during checkout, we will not be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations.
For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product(s) or service(s) that you ordered, and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractually obligations such as refunds, guarantees, warranties etc.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you send Future Shop enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with Future Shop and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We will also monitor your browsing activity with us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our websites. Future shop does this as part of our legitimate interest.
For example, by checking your password when you login and using automated monitoring of IP addresses to identify possible fraudulent log-ins from unexpected locations.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you.
For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, product recall notices, and legally required information relating to your orders. These service messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products Future Shop provide to you. Future Shop will do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
For example, we will record your browsers session ID to help us understand more when you leave us online feedback about any problems you're having.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
For example, when a court order is submitted to share data with law enforcement agencies or a court of law.
- To send you survey or feedback requests to help improve our services. These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you. You are free to request Future Shop cease sending any survey or feedback requests by updating your contact preferences in your online account pages or by contacting us by email, email@example.com, or phone, 0800 772 3688 (0208 905 1555).
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties.
For example, delivery couriers, fraud management, or for requesting feedback regarding our services.
Here is the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contact with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them with either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
- Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
In rare instances, Future Shop may be requested by third parties to share our data. We will only do this in very specific circumstances, such as:
- For fraud management, we may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies.
- We may also be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement, regulatory or Government body, in your country of origin or elsewhere, upon a valid request to do so. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration.
To help personalise your journey through Futureshop.co.uk, we currently use the following companies, who will process your data as part of their contracts with us:
- Royal Mail
- DPD Local
- Trusted Shops
Customers and individuals have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That Future Shop stop using your personal data for direct marketing, either through specific channels or all channels.
- That Future Shop stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw your consent.
- Review by a partner of any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data. i.e. where no human has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for that decision.
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Future Shop holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate or removed. To ask for your information, please contact:Data Protection TeamFuture Shop Ltd.Unit 5 Moda CentreStirling WayBorehamwood,WD6 2BWUnited Kingdom
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we choose not to action your request, we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any requests you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communication from us:
- Click the 'Unsubscribe' link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails from that particular division.
- If you have an account, log in to your Future Shop account, visit the 'My Account' area and change your 'Contact Preferences'.
- Write to Data Protection Team, Future Shop Ltd., Unit 5 Moda Centre, Stirling Way, Borehamwood, WD6 2BW, United Kingdom.
- Email email@example.com.
Please note you may continue to receive communications for a brief period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the information commissioner's office.
If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
By using our services or providing your personal data to us, you expressly consent to the processing of your personal data by us or on our behalf. Of course, you still have the right to ask us not to process your data in certain ways, and if you do so, we will respect your wishes.
Sometimes we will need to transfer your personal data between countries to enable us to supply the goods or services you have requested. In the ordinary course of business, we may transfer your personal data from your country of residence to ourselves and to third parties located in the UK.
By dealing with us, you are giving your consent to this overseas use, transfer and disclosure of your personal data outside your country of residence for our ordinary business purposes.
This may occur because our information technology facilities and servers are located outside your country of residence and could include storage of your personal data on servers in the UK.
Future Shop will ensure that reasonable steps are taken to prevent third parties outside your country of residence using your personal data in any way that is not set out in this Privacy Notice. We will also make sure we adequately protect the confidentiality and privacy of your personal data.
Cookies are a standard method of registering user preferences when people use websites, to ensure a better and more personalised experience. These preferences are stored in a file on your computer's hard disk drive.
Futureshop.co.uk uses both persistent and session cookies. Persistent cookies are cookies that stay on your computer permanently until you manually delete them. Session cookies delete themselves automatically when you close your browser or after a certain time frame. Both types of cookies do not store any personal details relating to you or your credit/debit cards. Any cookies created are for the sole purpose of, and essential to, the function of Futureshop.co.uk.
You can manage the cookies that you allow on your computer through the internet browser that you use. You can also ask to be alerted every time a cookie is offered. There are instructions on how to manage your cookies available via your browsers help menus.
Following an order, the Trusted Shops Trustbadge is incorporated in to this web page in order to display our Trusted Shops Trustmark for buyers and the eventually collected reviews, as well as the Trusted Shops product offer.
In balancing the various interests, this serves to safeguard our legitimate prevailing interests in an optimised marketing of our offer. The Trustbadge and the services advertised are an offer of Trusted Shops HmbH, Subbelrather Str. 15C, 50823 Köln.
Whenever a Trustbadge is called up, the webserver automatically stores a so-called server log file which contains, for example, your IP address, the date and time of retrieval, the data volume transferred and the requesting provider (access data) and documents retrieval. This access data will not be evaluated and will be automatically overwritten seven days after your visit to the page.
Other personal information will only be transferred to Trusted Shops if you decide, after completing an order, to use Trusted Shops products or have already registered for their use. In this case, the contractual agreement between you and Trusted Shops applies.
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it.
If you have any questions that have not been covered, please contact our Data Protection Team who will be pleased to help you:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write to us at Data Protection Team, Future Shop Ltd., Unit 5 Moda Centre, Stirling Way, Borehamwood, WD6 2BW, United Kingdom.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 15/05/2018.